This page has been put together to answer some questions and explain my process.
1) Though I am often asked as a conversation starter, what my cost is, I cannot honestly answer without knowing what you need or want. Everyone's needs are different and I can better customize my service for you if you can answer the following questions.
What I need to know:
2) Once you have answered these questions. I can give you a proper estimate of cost. If you wish to book me then we decide on a date, time and place.
3) I send you an invoice over email which lays out my terms, conditions, the cost, exactly what you will receive in terms of images, optional ancillary services such as makeup, taxes, and retainer fee. It will state our shoot date, time and location.
4) Review this as good pointers for maximizing the value of your shoot.
5) We get right into shooting. You will see that I shoot to my laptop which allows us to review images from our shoot as we go. I will also teach you a bit about how to pose for the camera. This can help eliminate a double chin, find your best angle, the stronger side of your face, etc.
6) We shoot images, then review them on the laptop, then shoot some more. We continue this until we've met two criteria: we've hit the number of headshots called for in our contract/invoice and you are happy about them. Typically I like to spend an hour on a typical headshot session depending on the amount of images you want.
7) Before you leave you pay for the service. This is the invoice cost, minus the retainer which is built into the contract. Retainer fees are always non-refundable even if you cancel before the shoot. They are the fee to book my time, which will be cleared for you at the day and time it was agreed upon. I can accept cash, credit/debit or paypal. I do not typically accept checks as they add time to the transaction. No images are released to you until payment is cleared. Go here to pay.
8) After our shoot and the cursory selection of images by you on site or at my discretion after the shoot, whatever was agreed upon, I put the images into a hidden file on my website. These will not be all of the images we shot, just the hand-selected dozen or less. These are the ones you can choose from for me to post process. Refer to your contract/invoice and select as many images as was agreed upon. If you wish more, a nominal fee of $25 per image can be paid through paypal. The added image will be processed.
9) After the final selection of images, the ones you have selected will be retouched. This may include cropping and removing blemishes. I do not plasticize skin or erase things that are permanent unless you specifically ask for it (even then I won't plasticize skin). I believe in a more organize approach to retouching. Stuff like a pimple can be removed, as it's not a permanent feature. Lines and crow's feet can be lessened but I prefer not to remove them entirely as it's not you.
10) I then put the high res images back into a folder on my website which becomes visible for general viewing (unless otherwise requested). You are emailed a password to download the images and instructions on doing so. There is no limit to how many times you can download them. They can be accessed anytime, from anywhere. No more lost or broken CDs or flash drives.
And that is the cycle of a headshot. It's an informative and educational experience where you not only get great images of yourself, but also knowledge on how to pose and what your best angle is. This knowledge of course can be applied from here on out in any photo you find yourself posing for!
Here are some real examples of before and after coaching: